Museum of Contemporary Art
The Museum of Contemporary Art was established in 1988. The foundation of its collection consisted of works transferred from Riksgalleriet (Norway’s touring art gallery) and the National Gallery. With this as its starting point, the museum was given national responsibility for the documentation of post-war Norwegian art. The initial set of works the museum inherited represented the official narrative of post-war Norwegian art history.
In 1990 the museum opened its doors to the public in the former headquarters of Norges Bank at Bankplassen in Oslo.
Designed by the architect Ingvar Olav Hjorth, this beautiful Art Nouveau-inspired building in Norwegian granite and marble was built in 1907.