How do you go about conserving works made with multiple craft techniques (like a clock)?
The conservators at the museum are specialists in different types of materials and we often work on tasks together. We try to respect the traditions of different crafts, but we don’t necessarily approach tasks in the same way as a craftsperson. Our main goal is to preserve items, but with as little intervention as possible. As a result, we don’t always restore objects to a functional condition.
Kind regards, Maren, object conservator.
- What’s the best way to store silver and gold jewellery when it’s not in use?
- How do you go about conserving works made with multiple craft techniques (like a clock)?
- How can I remove flecks of paint from a bronze object? I don’t think there’s any treatment on the surface.
- How should I store old medicine bottles with paper labels?
- I have an old leather suitcase that’s got worn around the edges. Should I rub some oil into it?